Skip to main content

We are like 10-year-old Boys and Girls

 

My 10-year-old son doesn’t always answer right away when I ask him a question. Often, I have to repeat myself two or three times before he responds. One morning, though, his reaction caught me off guard.

We were in the car on the way to school. It was Boy Scout day, so he wore the brown uniform shirt with its badges—the scout logo and the Philippine flag. Knowing how cold the air-conditioning can be in classrooms, I noticed he hadn’t brought his school jacket. So I asked, “Gab, are you wearing a sando?” (A sando is a sleeveless undershirt in Filipino.)

In a soft voice, he muttered, “No, I don’t have it.”

I didn’t quite catch his reply, so I asked again: “Are you wearing a sando?” This time he said, a bit louder, “I’m not wearing it.”

I heard him, but I still couldn’t believe it, so I asked a third time, raising my voice: “You’re not wearing a sando?!”

This time he shouted back: “I’m not wearing a sando!”

To check for myself, I slipped my finger between the buttons of his shirt—and there it was. He wasn’t lying. He wasn’t wearing a sando, but a scout t-shirt under his uniform. I fell silent and drove the rest of the way.

Lesson Learned

We are often like 10-year-old boys and girls. We may speak the truth, but if we don’t frame our answers clearly, the message can be misunderstood. Sometimes the fault isn’t in the answer itself, but in not considering the perspective of the one asking.

In this case, my son was only 10. I was the adult, yet it was really my mistake—I failed to listen carefully the first time.

As Christians, we can do better. When people ask about our faith, our task isn’t just to give factual answers. Every question has a context, and behind many questions lies a deeper emotional or spiritual need. If we only answer the question and miss the person, we risk missing the point altogether.

Proverbs reminds us that fools are conceited—they may ask only to mock. But there are truth-seekers out there, genuinely longing for answers. And sometimes, even a fool may reconsider if given a thoughtful, gracious reply.

Answering with Clarity and Grace

When we respond, let’s remember: we’re not just answering a question, we’re engaging a person. That requires clarity, sincerity, and honesty. And even when we don’t know the answer, those qualities can still build trust and connection.

After all, our ultimate goal is not to win an argument but to reach hearts with the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcribing Kathryn Kuhlman

 "It means something to be a Christian. It means something to be born again. It’s something more than just shedding of your tears. It’s much more than just kneeling down and saying a prayer. This thing of being a Christian is a life; it’s an experience; it’s a day-by-day proposition. And you haven’t really learned how to live; you have no real purpose in life; there is no real purpose for you in living; until you have been born again." "It cost everything. If you really want to know the price; if you really want to know the price, I’ll tell you. It’d cost you everything. Kathryn Kuhlman died a long time ago. I know the day, I know the hour, I can go to the spot where Kathryn Kuhlman died. But you see for me it was easy; because I had nothing." "You can only know His perfect will, and He'll only make intercession for you before the Father's throne, seeking the will of God on your behalf, when you get to a place where you have no will of your own. And...

The Genealogy and the Gospel of Christ

That I have been introduced to two individuals now who strongly subscribe to John Calvin’s doctrines has got me thinking seriously about this subject. And so for more than a couple of months now, my reading of the Scriptures has been greatly influenced and directed towards the subject of election and predestination and God’s exercise of His absolutely sovereign  will. The book of genealogies never appealed to me and I never really got any significance from it. But today as I read through those genealogies again, something hit me really strongly. The book of genealogies actually is evidence of the move of the mighty hand of God to preserve a people for Himself. In Genesis chapter 5, at verse 4 it says: “The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters.” I asked myself: What about the other sons and daughters were they not significant to God? The answer came rather quickly. They were all significant, but Seth was more significant because ...

Imagine Acts 1:9-11

And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." ESV (Act 1:9-11) The story is all too familiar to most people, and to them it remains to be just a story. But these things really took place. It’s not a recent event. But an event 1 hour ago is no different from an event 2 hours ago or even 2000 years ago. They all took place during the course of time. Imagine that these things took place just yesterday. And you were there. Jesus rose from the dead and then He ascended up in the clouds, and then there are these two guys who tell you, Jesus is coming back in the same manner that you saw Him go up. Get a hold of the reality of that event. ...