Skip to main content

Seek the things that are above

Here are the key verses we studied during today’s Bible study

Col 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

-> As new creations in Christ, we are to seek the things that are above, the things of Christ, the things of God. In contrast, unbelievers are much too concerned about the things of this world, about their needs, troubles and problems. But the more they are concerned about them, the more that they get buried into them.

Joh 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

-> We are no longer of this world. God has chosen us OUT of the world.

Joh 8:23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. “

-> We were from below but God has translated us into the kingdom of His Son. We were raised with Christ. We are no longer below; he has brought us up that is why God tells us to seek those things that are above.

Rom 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

-> We do that by renewing our minds by the word of God. God has brought us out of the world and so we must be transformed to no longer conform to it.

Jam 4:4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

-> This world is not of God. Friendship with the world is enmity with God. This is no longer the place that God has for us. He is making new heavens and a new earth.

2Pe 3:13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

-> We also touched on grace.

Rom 5:20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

-> Grace is the unmerited, undeserved favor of God. And grace abounds all the more in the area of our shortcomings. As Paul declares, “When I am weak, then I am strong.” because the power of God is made perfect in weakness. Grace is not related to good deeds, if it were so then it will no longer be grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcribing Kathryn Kuhlman

 "It means something to be a Christian. It means something to be born again. It’s something more than just shedding of your tears. It’s much more than just kneeling down and saying a prayer. This thing of being a Christian is a life; it’s an experience; it’s a day-by-day proposition. And you haven’t really learned how to live; you have no real purpose in life; there is no real purpose for you in living; until you have been born again." "It cost everything. If you really want to know the price; if you really want to know the price, I’ll tell you. It’d cost you everything. Kathryn Kuhlman died a long time ago. I know the day, I know the hour, I can go to the spot where Kathryn Kuhlman died. But you see for me it was easy; because I had nothing." "You can only know His perfect will, and He'll only make intercession for you before the Father's throne, seeking the will of God on your behalf, when you get to a place where you have no will of your own. And...

The Genealogy and the Gospel of Christ

That I have been introduced to two individuals now who strongly subscribe to John Calvin’s doctrines has got me thinking seriously about this subject. And so for more than a couple of months now, my reading of the Scriptures has been greatly influenced and directed towards the subject of election and predestination and God’s exercise of His absolutely sovereign  will. The book of genealogies never appealed to me and I never really got any significance from it. But today as I read through those genealogies again, something hit me really strongly. The book of genealogies actually is evidence of the move of the mighty hand of God to preserve a people for Himself. In Genesis chapter 5, at verse 4 it says: “The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters.” I asked myself: What about the other sons and daughters were they not significant to God? The answer came rather quickly. They were all significant, but Seth was more significant because ...

The Operation of the Salvation of God

(Isa 1:2)  Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me. (Isa 6:10)  Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. (Rom 11:11)  I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. (Rom 11:22)  Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. (Rom 11:25)  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. (Rom 11:26...