Skip to main content

Preaching To The Dead

First I found this Scripture:

(1Pe 3:19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

And then recently, just on the next chapter, I found this:

(1Pe 4:6) For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Now notice the synonymous phrases, "preached unto the spirits in prison" and "the gospel preach also to them that are dead." Suddenly I'm thinking about Purgatory. : ) But seriously, I have reason to believe that even the realm of the dead is within reach of the gospel, and somebody is also preaching there.

Let's read that again from verse 17:

(1Pe 3:17) For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

(1Pe 3:18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

(1Pe 3:19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

(1Pe 3:20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

(1Pe 3:21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Up until verse 17, Peter is preaching on good works. At verse 18, Peter compares the sufferings of a just man to Christ's sufferings and gives doctrinal insights on what was accomplished by the sufferings of Christ. And then verse 19 the Apostle expounds further on what was ALSO accomplished by Christ's suffering/death in the flesh (by implication).

Verse 20 expressly identifies who were the spirits in prison and then in verse 21, the Apostle gives another doctrinal insight this time on baptism (which is another topic).

Adding up 1Pe 4:6, one thing becomes crystal clear to me. Whether we be dead or alive, there is only one criteria of the judgment of God and that is, whether or not we receive the gospel of Jesus Christ (whosoever believes on Him shall not perish but have eternal life).

As a personal note, I am not forcing anyone to accept this: Even the dead will have enough opportunity to hear the Gospel. That's how good God is. : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcribing Kathryn Kuhlman

 "It means something to be a Christian. It means something to be born again. It’s something more than just shedding of your tears. It’s much more than just kneeling down and saying a prayer. This thing of being a Christian is a life; it’s an experience; it’s a day-by-day proposition. And you haven’t really learned how to live; you have no real purpose in life; there is no real purpose for you in living; until you have been born again." "It cost everything. If you really want to know the price; if you really want to know the price, I’ll tell you. It’d cost you everything. Kathryn Kuhlman died a long time ago. I know the day, I know the hour, I can go to the spot where Kathryn Kuhlman died. But you see for me it was easy; because I had nothing." "You can only know His perfect will, and He'll only make intercession for you before the Father's throne, seeking the will of God on your behalf, when you get to a place where you have no will of your own. And...

The Operation of the Salvation of God

(Isa 1:2)  Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me. (Isa 6:10)  Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. (Rom 11:11)  I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. (Rom 11:22)  Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. (Rom 11:25)  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. (Rom 11:26...

Strengthening ROL

There are many doctrines that we do not know about, and some of them I am also just learning right now. But they are not really necessary and I believe that a Christian doesn't need to know all of them because most of these doctrines are actually devices by the enemy. But we must be fully grounded in the truth so that we may be able to test each of these doctrines when they come around. I am confident that we have the Holy Spirit in us and so we know the truth. What we know cannot be wrong because we know whom we learned them from. It may be that we know only a few things, but these few things always align themselves to the truth because we have received them from the Spirit himself. The teaching that “once saved always saved” really doesn't hold and the doctrine easily crumbles at the words of our Lord in the beginning chapters of the book of Revelations: Rev 2:5   Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto t...