Skip to main content

Corinthians At Supper

1Co 11:20-22

"When you come together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not."

The Corinthians must have celebrated the Lord ’s Supper the Filipino ‘bring your own baon’ style. And it appears that the Filipino ‘barkadahan’ style is also practiced by them. The Corinthian church must have been divided in factions, each to his own group. And naturally, those that are of the same socio-economic status would group together. So during meal time, them that have brought food and drinks would be full and even drunk, while others who may not be well off economically even to bring their own food go hungry. Paul is telling them, this is not the way to eat the Lord ’s Supper. Indeed it was very detestable. Paul rebukes them, “Do you despise the Church of God and humiliate those who have nothing?”

This should be a lesson to us Church. And not only during worship services and fellowship, but let us also look into the needs of others, especially of our brothers and sisters in the faith and share with them those things that we have received in abundance. By this I believe that our Father in heaven will be pleased and bless us all the more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcribing Kathryn Kuhlman

 "It means something to be a Christian. It means something to be born again. It’s something more than just shedding of your tears. It’s much more than just kneeling down and saying a prayer. This thing of being a Christian is a life; it’s an experience; it’s a day-by-day proposition. And you haven’t really learned how to live; you have no real purpose in life; there is no real purpose for you in living; until you have been born again." "It cost everything. If you really want to know the price; if you really want to know the price, I’ll tell you. It’d cost you everything. Kathryn Kuhlman died a long time ago. I know the day, I know the hour, I can go to the spot where Kathryn Kuhlman died. But you see for me it was easy; because I had nothing." "You can only know His perfect will, and He'll only make intercession for you before the Father's throne, seeking the will of God on your behalf, when you get to a place where you have no will of your own. And...

The Genealogy and the Gospel of Christ

That I have been introduced to two individuals now who strongly subscribe to John Calvin’s doctrines has got me thinking seriously about this subject. And so for more than a couple of months now, my reading of the Scriptures has been greatly influenced and directed towards the subject of election and predestination and God’s exercise of His absolutely sovereign  will. The book of genealogies never appealed to me and I never really got any significance from it. But today as I read through those genealogies again, something hit me really strongly. The book of genealogies actually is evidence of the move of the mighty hand of God to preserve a people for Himself. In Genesis chapter 5, at verse 4 it says: “The days of Adam after he fathered Seth were 800 years; and he had other sons and daughters.” I asked myself: What about the other sons and daughters were they not significant to God? The answer came rather quickly. They were all significant, but Seth was more significant because ...

Imagine Acts 1:9-11

And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." ESV (Act 1:9-11) The story is all too familiar to most people, and to them it remains to be just a story. But these things really took place. It’s not a recent event. But an event 1 hour ago is no different from an event 2 hours ago or even 2000 years ago. They all took place during the course of time. Imagine that these things took place just yesterday. And you were there. Jesus rose from the dead and then He ascended up in the clouds, and then there are these two guys who tell you, Jesus is coming back in the same manner that you saw Him go up. Get a hold of the reality of that event. ...